Wednesday, July 11

Initiation of Labor

As PrairieBiker mentioned in his comment on my last post, there are ways to try to induce labor. Ironically, I was planning on blogging this list the doctor gave me the other day because we got such a kick out the castor oil recipes! Of course, please let me give the disclaimer that no one is supposed to try these tips unless their doctor recommends them and their body and baby are ready!

Initiation of labor

Prior to labor beginning, the cervix softens and goes through changes we refer to as ripening. The following interventions will help ripen the cervix:

Nipple stimulation: this can be done as foreplay -with your partner, using warm compresses on the breasts to get circulation there, then do nipple rolling 5 minutes on 10 minutes off for 20-30 minutes at a time, 1-4 hours between episodes.

Prostaglandin: (natural form) there are prostaglandin in semen that will help ripen the cervix, stay laying down (on your side) for about 20 minutes after intercourse (this helps keep the semen close to the cervix to aid in the effect).

Evening Primrose Oil: 500 mg three times a day

To initiate labor once the cervix is ready you can try the following things.

All of the above

Castor Oil: use any one of these three recipes

Best done in the morning

1) ½ glass of pineapple juice, add a pinch of baking soda, when it bubbles up stir in 3 oz. castor oil, stir well, drink down, catch a breath and drink the rest. Chase with a Reese's peanut butter cup.

2) ½ glass of root beer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, put in the blender with 3 oz. castor oil, blend, drink and follow with a Reese's peanut butter cup.

3) 3 oz. of orange juice, add 3 oz. castor oil, blend, drink and chase with a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Usually it takes about 1-6 hours to work. Take a warm shower when the cramping begins.

That is word-for-word (unless there were typos in transferring it) the list that they gave me. You'd think they had stock in Hershey or something with the references to Reese's peanut butter cups...thankfully, I have a bag of those at home!



6 Comments:

Blogger Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Don't do castor oil! I will clean you out!!!

Also try drinking red raspberry leaf tea. I made iced tea out of it. And took the evening primrose. Didn't help for me, but my cervix *never* dialated. This combo has worked for some of my friends.

Also ask if they will strip your membranes. That could really get you going.

But don't try anything unless youare really ready!

Good luck.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Momo said...

Leeanthro:

Yeah, you know I'm not entirely sure I want to initiate it quite yet. It's so strange - a mix of wanting it to happen and still trying to get ready for it to happen!

What does the evening primrose do? I was scared that since it had "oil" in the title - it would work like castor oil...

A lady here at work tried the raspberry tea and she made cumin "tea" I think - she had her baby one day before her due date. A friend of a friend had her membranes stripped - that one skeeeeeeers me!!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

No, the evening primrose doesn't clean you out. The midwives suggest the primrose and red raspberry leaf tea combo.

I never had my membranes stripped because I think they want you dialted a little first. But several of my friends had it done. Can't hurt.

One of my friends did the nipple stimlation in a warm shower with a washcloth and she went right into labor.

Sex-ugh-too much pressure from too many directions at once--sorry hubbies!

Are you totally nervous/excited/don't know what to do with yourself?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I recommend intercourse. My guys were all born the day after. :)

Besides, it'll hold the hub over a bit....

Castor oil - ewww.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Momo said...

Leeanthro:

Where do I get the evening primrose and raspberry tea? Strawberry Fields? I think I might at least try those things...

And I am exactly how you described: nervous/excited/don't know what to do with myself. Don't know what to clean or buy (surely I need something else!)...want her to come...not sure I'm ready for her to come...it's nuts!! But very exciting!

I'm giving you my e-mail so that we could write each other if you'd like: momo201@hotmail.com

Wendy: I'm not sure I'm THAT desperate yet! (Kidding, of course!!) ;0)

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As midwives in UK we do a membrane sweep usually at term or 1 week later as recommended by NICE (National Institiute of Clinical Excellence). Works 50% of the time if cervix ripe- should be gentle not painful-no forcing of the cerix open. Should be repeated after 3 days if not in labour. Often lots of B Hicks afterwards.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home